Now that you know the basics building blocks of a website, let’s look at how to install WordPress on your GoDaddy hosting account. Other hosts have very similar installation processes, too. Don’t be scared – you can do this!
- LOG IN TO YOUR GODADDY.COM ACCOUNT: Login to your GoDaddy account using the log in at the top right-hand corner GoDaddy.com. You can find your GoDaddy account number in the confirmation email that was sent to you titled “Welcome to GoDaddy.com!” You should have received this email after you purchased your hosting account.
- SELECT “HOSTING” FROM THE LEFT SIDEBAR UNDER “MY PRODUCTS”: On the left side of the page, a black sidebar will appear. In the “My Products” section, click “hosting.”
- PICK THE DOMAIN WHERE WANT TO INSTALL WORDPRESS: Next, select the domain you’d like to use, and then click Manage Account.
- CLICK THE LARGE “MY APPLICATIONS” BUTTON ON THE NEXT PAGE: This will take you to the page where you will choose the WordPress application to install.
- SELECT “BLOGS” AND THEN “WORDPRESS” FROM THE LIST ON THE LEFT SIDEBAR: You’ll see a lot of application types and applications you can install on your site. Click Blogs, then WordPress.
- INSTALL WORDPRESS ONTO YOUR HOSTING ACCOUNT: Click the yellow “Install” button to begin installing WordPress. Follow the prompts and provide the information requested to complete your installation. You will be asked for:
- Database description> Something like MyNameIsAngie WordPress.
- Database password>Use this generator and write it down so it’s secure.
- Install Directory>clear the field. Click the “Next” button to continue.
- Set up username and password: This is the user name and password that you’ll use every time you login to your blog. You cannot modify the user name once it’s created (though you can add and delete users) so choose something you can remember. The email address is where WordPress will send you notifications such as when someone leaves a comment on your blog. And of course, “Blog Title” is the title of your blog. Click the “Next” button to finish.
- WAIT FOR THE INSTALLATION TO BE COMPLETED: Once you’ve completed the WordPress installation, you’ll need to wait up to 24 hours before you can actually start creating your website (though usually it takes less than an hour). You will receive an email from GoDaddy when the installation process has been completed.
Don’t use GoDaddy? It’s possible your host has an easy installation process like this, too. Check your “Help” links, call support to check. If they don’t, you can manually install it.