Soon, I will have somethings to write about Iraq. Important things (not announcements of our return, just thoughts which are important to me).
But for now, I’ll leave you with this unimportant story, which surely won’t translate as funny as it was when it happened. Our house in Iraq had tricky electricity. Often times, our Kurdish friend Todd would be called in the middle of the night to come rewire an outlet which had caught fire and blown up. Once, our breaker in the house LITERALLY caught fire and left a black charred reminder of the explosion on the wall.
One evening, around 9PM, the house was deftly quiet, when suddenly piercing the darkness, a girl shreiked at the top of her lungs. A sort of primal, involuntarily scream. I grabbed Nila and ran towards the sound.
It was Robert. He had touched a light switch near the bathroom, and because (we found out later) the wires weren’t properly grounded, the entire amperage of the house was sent bolting through the switch when Robert touched it! To this day, I still think we’re lucky he wasn’t seriously hurt, BUT, it also remains as one of the funniest things that happened to us while we lived there. Robert was scared to touch the switches for days (and rightfully so)!